Date : 19-06-2019 14:36
In this blog, we will discuss the “International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict” and its origin, purpose etc.
· Meaning of Sexual Violence: Sexual violence is defined as – “any sexual act, attempt to obtain a sexual act unwanted sexual comments or advances, or acts to traffic, or otherwise directed, against a person’s sexuality using coercion, by any person regardless of their relationship to the victim, in any setting, including but not limited to home and work.” a
· Origin: This day was chosen to honour the adoption on 19th June 2008 of Security Council Resolution 1821 (2008), where the council condemned sexual violence as a method of war and an impediment to building peace.
· Purpose: This day is dedicated to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence. Also, this day is to honour the victims and survivors of sexual violence around the globe and to pay respect to all those who have courageously devoted their lives and even lost it in standing up for the abolition of these types of crimes.
· This Year: 2019 is the year which marks the 10-year anniversary of the establishment of the mandate of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict. In these 10 years, there was a paradigm shift in the understanding of the scourge of conflict-related sexual violence as a threat to international security and peace.
· Panel Discussion: This year, there will be a panel discussion on “The importance of a Survivor-Centered Approach” on Wednesday, 19 June 2019 (10 AM – 11.30 AM) at Trusteeship Council, United Nations Secretariat, NY.
· What is Survivor-Centred Approach? The effects of conflict-related sexual violence affect generations through poverty, stigma, trauma, poor health and unwanted pregnancy. UNSC adopted a resolution on 23 April 2019 which talks about a survivor-centred approach to the prevention and response to conflict-related sexual violence. This approach has various features and calls for more attention to the physical and economic security of survivors.
· Who are the survivors of Sexual Violence in Conflict? Women and their children are survivors of sexual violence in conflict. On this day, we endeavour to raise unity with survivors who face sexual violence.
If you are a victim of sexual violence or witness someone suffering from sexual abuse, you should try your best to stop it. Also, we support the victims of sexual violence we can help you. LawTendo is an intuitive online platform that makes it speedier and simpler to discover and contact the finest Attorneys in any city/court in India.
LawTendo has around 15000+ lawyers across India in our platform & have successfully solved 15,000 cases. LawTendo strives to facilitate cost-efficient and quality legal service to our clients. You can contact LawTendo online for Legal Consultation or contact us at +91-9671633666 or email@example.com.