Ancestral Property

Dear Sir, My husband’s grandfather had 15 Acres of self-earned Agriculture Land. He registered this property for my father-in-law on 1964. My Father-in-law has a wife and 2 sons. My father-in-law died on 1995 and he didn’t separate that above mentioned property to his family members. After My father-in-law’s death, his property was partitioned and registered in his wife and 2 son's Names according to legal inheritance on 2003. Everybody segregated each 5 Acres. My husband is a 1st Son of my father-in-law. After that we had married on 2014 and we had a first baby on 2015. My husband sold that property to other person on 2016. He mentioned that the property is going to sales for me and my child's future welfare in the Sale Deed. Sale Deed is signed by only my husband in our side. At that time we had one child. After that we had also second child. I was revealed that the property was sold by my husband without my knowledge in 2019. After that I raised the regular civil suit in the court. In this case I had mentioned that this property is our ancestral property. My husband sold that property without court permission. He didn’t spent any amount to our family needs. He spent the full amount lavishly. Now we are not living together in the same house. I am living separately with my 2 children in my father’s house. So we request the honourable court that we need to be redeemed our ancestral property and also my husband have to give me and my children maintenance. Can me buy a Stay Order not to use that property until the judgement of this case comes?. And please suggest me also if there is any possibilities for favourable judgement in the above case to us.

Free Legal Advice - civil law

Posted by: Santhi

Posted on: 2021-05-05

As per your facts, property was partitioned so now the property is not ancestral anymore it is self acquired property of your husband therefore, he can sell property without your consent and knowledge as he is absolute owner of property. You can claim maintenance for yourself and children from your husband.

In this case, you can't get any stay against that property because he is the absolute title owner of the property and further maintaitance is it's your right you can file a petition before the appropriate forum gets a remedy for yours and as well as your children.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the civil law at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail. .

Talk to Top Rated Lawyer

Some issues just cant wait. If you need a resolution right away, then use our quick consult option to speak with our Lawtendo lawyers immediately at a small fee of Rs 600.

Talk to a Lawyer